Tuesday, June 16, 2015

The Joys of Hiking

I just came back from a hot, hot hike.  It was actually 95 degrees when I got back in the car (but only 16% humidity, and there was a much appreciated breeze), on it's way to about 110 later. I thought it would be more uncomfortable than it was.  The fact that there was only one car in the parking lot when I left and saw no one on the trail sort of says maybe I shouldn't have been out there.  But it's summer in the Valley of the Sun, and I refuse not to get outside and enjoy nature just because it's hot.  The high desert of Arizona is just incredibly beautiful and interesting.



Hiking is one of life's real pleasures.  I hope I can do it into my 80s, assuming I live that long.  For me, it's more than just the exercise, although it's hard to imagine a more enjoyable way of getting a good cardio workout than hiking (maybe taking a bike ride).  A real benefit of hiking for me is getting outdoors to experience nature; I'm very lucky to live in Scottsdale, a city that has had the foresight to save about one-third of its land mass, which is very large, in preserves that are loaded with hiking trails.

I do most of my hiking alone, because my husband is on a different schedule than me, taking the dog out to hike at first light.  But I don't mind, because for me, hiking is a spiritual experience.  Outdoors is one the the places that I experience serenity and my Higher Power.  When I'm out in nature I can feel at one with the Great Eternal Spirit of the Universe, which some people call God.

If you haven't tried hiking, I strongly urge you to  try it.  If you can walk, you can hike.  Beginners probably shouldn't start alone.  I always find out what the temperature and weather are going to be before I go out, and always carry my cellphone.   Once it gets hot here, starting as early as March, the rattlesnakes are out and I don't want to tempt fate.  I see them all the time, and as scary as they are, I try to remember that when I hike, I am in their home and they have every right to be there.  I always let someone know where I'll be going and when I expect to be back.



Other hiking tips for beginners: 

  • always wear sunscreen and a hat
  • bring plenty of water and remember to drink it BEFORE you feel thirsty;  if you're feeling thirsty you've waited to long.
  • wear the right shoes for the trail surface.  On some trails you can get away with good walking or running shoes.  On others, like very rocky or muddy surfaces, you are going to want actual hiking shoes or boot.
Go outdoors, hike, have fun and enjoy nature.  It's bound to boost your spirits as well as give you a good workout!

No comments:

Post a Comment